It is currently 18 Nov 2017 04:19

Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 New PayPal and User Groups. Please Donate! 
fEARful fan

Post Re: New PayPal and User Groups. Please Donate!
greenboy wrote:
i'm thinking about locking the forum to current membership only. i'm tired of dealing with the daily influx of faked accounts. furthermore, of the valid accounts maybe 1 in 100 new entrants seem to donate. i'm not feeling the love for this new breed of nongratitude. it seems like i meet an attitude of entitlement in a lot of the email i get and i really get tired of it. the guys that came in earlier, especially the pioneer crowd, and a few more recent types have been real contributors here, and are much appreciated nonetheless. i like seeing their posts and hope the forum has use for them.

thoughts? am i thinking greedy? am i temperamental? i question myself on my feelings and how much time i want to spend.

First off, let me say, I think you're a f*cking genious and I am very appreciative of your positive influence on my daily struggle to learn how to play bass guitar. I will always be grateful!
Secondly, I don't envy you on the decision to be made. I ran a few scenarios thru my limited thought process and they all had pros & cons to them. No easy solution. Whatever you decide to do, I will respect that decision and know that it was the right decision for all concerned!
Yeah, I know, no help here ........... just wanted to voice my thoughts & THANK YOU ! :D

Build Thread for my Two 12/6's

29 Aug 2016 18:36
site admin

you guys who have donated before, i don't know why you are doing it again. seriously.

greenboy.us / fEARful™ website
greenboy / fEARful™ on facebook

31 Aug 2016 09:00
Profile WWW
fEARful fan

greenboy wrote:
you guys who have donated before, i don't know why you are doing it again. seriously.

Gratitude!

Violin bass

31 Aug 2016 10:02
fEARful fan

deltafred wrote:
greenboy wrote:

Gratitude!

Yup!

Build Thread for my Two 12/6's

31 Aug 2016 10:30
fEARful fan

WOW! I guess I should check in here more often than once or twice a week. :oops:

Greenie, just so you know: I would absolutely refuse any remuneration for herding this bunch of social misfits. It's actually been a lot of fun. (Although, I will admit to having lost a bit of interest along with my interest in playing.)

As for shutting down acceptance of new members...well...that would leave only TB for newbies to get advice and ask questions about fEARfuls...and you know how much misinformation that place has dished out over the years.

31 Aug 2016 15:42
fEARful fan

greenboy wrote:

Because We Can

01 Sep 2016 01:49
fEARful fan

Foz wrote:
Grumpy Bill should perma-ban someone every couple of weeks... pour encourager les autres!

Oops...I guess I forgot to tell you that you've been on super secret probation for the past 3 months.

28 Sep 2016 15:15
fEARful fan

greenboy

I completely sympathise with your position. In the day job I work in IT, and contribute to a number of forums. The number of ingrates who are just looking for someone to do their computer science homework for them (always with lots of lols and emoticons) is really quite depressing. However I always console myself that for every ten of those there are one or two that are interesting problems that benefit everybody and help move the forum forwards.

Your decision to make your designs publicly available is a great gift to the bass-playing community and should be applauded. Like open-source software projects, there are a lot of complainers who contribute nothing, and a few stalwarts who really bring something to the party. Like those who've done the True Crossovers, for example.

Well, that's my $0.02 worth. I feel better already :)

Sent ten bucks via PayPal to keep the forum alive.

29 Sep 2016 04:09
site admin

wow. just checked and there have only been two donations in the past year. might want to think about that because i sure don't like having to ; }

12 Oct 2017 20:27
Profile WWW
site admin

anybody gonna step up? a lot of people passed through the forum in the past year and built fEARfuls but seems like none of them cared if the lights stayed on.

14 Nov 2017 07:28
Profile WWW
site admin

Thanks for the note, vbchaos, but you've already done more than your fair share to keep the site going. The past couple of years less and less people have participated in any meaningful way toward community or cost. No need for those who already did it to feel beholden when a few of the more recent cab builders could participate and make it seem like it was worth continuing.

14 Nov 2017 10:14
Profile WWW
fEARful fan

greenboy wrote:
Thanks for the note, vbchaos, but you've already done more than your fair share to keep the site going. The past couple of years less and less people have participated in any meaningful way toward community or cost. No need for those who already did it to feel beholden when a few of the more recent cab builders could participate and make it seem like it was worth continuing.

To clarify: I didn't jump in for others, but I think a place like this should be supported. Dave put out a ****load of work when designing these cabinets, and their reputation is what brings people here. Pulling the plans and leaving without contribution is what I notice a lot lately; Posting the mandatory welcome message, maybe asking some questions (where can I find the plans... I think I'll change the plans here, here and there because I think it will make the cabinet better... Can someone please calculate all the shit for me to tell me that I am right???) and leaving without anything in return... I mean, at least contribute some knowledge to others. That ain't so hard? And a couple of dollars won't hurt you - you just paid 500+$ (at the very least) to build a cabinet, there should be 20 more bucks to contribute, aight?

Just my 2cents

15 Nov 2017 02:21

Agreed - I think if everyone who built a cab or got substantial help fixing one kicked in $20 we would be in a better place.... just saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem

15 Nov 2017 09:23
Profile WWW
site admin

For some reason unknown to me, PayPal stopped sending me notifications about donations to the account. So I'm manually going though the account right now to see what's what.

17 Nov 2017 12:20
Profile WWW
site admin

I've run into two donations that didn't have a local username or email address in the note so if you've donated and not gotten the royal purple username here let me know...

17 Nov 2017 12:42
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4