It is currently 23 Oct 2019 14:26

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 intro sclift 
fEARful fan

Post intro sclift
Greetings from southern CA,

About a year ago I bought a GB 6/12T combo for portability etc. It's light, loud and well made. However, after using it in a variety of situations, I've decided I don't really care for the sound. My impressions (add usual disclaimers here):

1. It sounds rather boxy, which can be moderated, but not cured, by stuffing it with polyester.
2. It beams noticeably, which is as expected.
3. The tweeter is a bit screechy and I suspect problems in the crossover region.
4. No real low bass - I calculate an F3 of about 65 Hz, assuming the driver is a 3012HO variant.
5. What bass there is doesn't seem to be very "tight" - it seems a bit flabby.
6. No guts if it's off the floor (e.g on a small stage riser).

Hmm. Looking at that list, it seems I like it less than I thought. I always seem to be battling with the tone controls to get a sound that's tolerable. That's not good. What to do? I don't want to start a quest to find the "perfect" commercial cabinet. I've designed and built a few cabinets, including some for PA systems, starting with an Altec 421-8LF reflex that I used with a Bassman 100. The last cabinet involved designing a 3-way crossover before programs were available to make that easier, and I resolved not to do that again. Now if I have to build something I'd prefer a design that is known to work. It seems the fEARFULs address the list of gripes above as well as anything will.

A disincentive is the recent driver price hike. I figured if I could get the drivers for a reasonable price I'd proceed. Found a used 6ND410 for $50 and a 3012LF for $230 - darn, now I have to do it. Currently trying to decide between the standard 12/6/1 and the cube, leaning towards the cube.

One data point - for laughs, I put the 3012LF in the GB cabinet. The tuning is all wrong and there is a huge hole between the 12 and the tweeter, but the boxiness seems much less pronounced. It seems that I prefer the sound of bass drivers with heavy cones. Don't know why.

Enough ranting.

19 Jul 2011 11:48
fEARful fan

Post Re: intro sclift
Welcome to the fold, sclift.

If you plan to only build one cab, the regular (taller) 12/6 might be a better option. The extra couple inches of height for the mid driver can make a difference in a cramped setup.

That's a great price you're getting the mid driver! Using the 18 Sound and switchable padding will allow you to add a 12sub later if you want. I used Alpha mid drivers because it was cheaper to buy 2 of them than a single 18 Sound.

20 Jul 2011 06:38
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]