It is currently 16 Oct 2019 14:31

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hello and need an education on fEARfuls 
Post Hello and need an education on fEARfuls
Looking to mate up my SVT CL Heritage with a 15/6? Maybe? Need to read and ask some questions here on the forms. If anyone has experience with tube amps and the fEARfuls and reads my into..feel free to comment.

Thanks for having me aboard and I hope to contribute some experience to all.

Joe

26 Jul 2011 14:59
site admin

Post Re: Hello and need an education on fEARfuls
Hey Joe (I heard you shot your woman down?),

Early on I got some decent time in with a couple tube heads - enough that I got big thrills, so off and on I've been looking for a good deal on a Peavey VB-3. A friend used to bring a mod'd 100 watt Bassman over a lot and it sounded great with that. Another guy I met at an overnight jamfest up in the wilds had an SVT I got to crank with for a few hours. I liked the SVT even better, mainly because of the added tone options of its James/Baxandall tone stack, which the fEARful is able to take full advantage of. But either sounds glorious through my 15/6, either clean or dirty. Plenty of mids available with lots of detail, and a rich deep bass that doesn't easily get boomy, due to the woofer characteristics and how the cab is sized and tuned.

The Kappalites in these alignments play well with these tube heads due to not having too high of an impedance climb/jag below 100 Hz, unlike some ported cabs which don't fit a tube/transformer setup so well. Also, you can plug one side of the port to get a roll-off very much like a sealed cab, if that's what you are after. I actually like the more distinctive un-blocked sound better though - it's a new flavor that stands out more from what so many others are doing.

I've thought about getting a low-power tube head too. A 12/6 with only a few quality watts behind it would be an incredible studio rig. But since I don't see the inside of a studio much these days, that hasn't happened as of yet ; }

greenboy.us / fEARful™ website

26 Jul 2011 15:31
Profile WWW
GB (you know I caught her messin round!)

Thanks for the welcome and info too! Any specific guidelines outside of the flawless plans that make up the 15/6? Should I go with a tweeter (could always turn it off right?) I play mainly blues/ classic rock and have a slew of Fender P's ad J's (strung with flat wounds/ round wounds) I will occasionally fire up my Jazz 5'er or Stingray 5 when provoked to do so. I'm figuring a single cab approach to smaller gig's were the 8x10 is just a tad much (I almost pulled the trigger on an Aguliar DB 410 today) However, the more I read about the fEARfuls the more thinking I do about the many fine reviews amd my nostilgic love of 15" drivers. Additionally, any builders you feel stick your design more than others? I'm not looking to build one myself (a 2 year old keeps me busy enough) and trying to make a good decision. Your help/ time is appriciated.

26 Jul 2011 21:41
site admin

All the Builders are good. There's a Builder section that only they can see where they discuss stuff up above here, so questions and info gets shared. That helps ensure that everybody is on the same page and that quality is the result. Most of them have major experience building enclosures previous to the introduction of the fEARFul.

If you are running tubes I'd say don't bother with a HF section - the 6" reaches up quite a way beyond any woofers you have ever used anyway. Actually what you get with the woofer and mid driver is in effect a single driver with more reach in both directions and over a broader area (dispersion). Besides clean tones I'm really into overdrive and distortion. Besides the grunty voice of doom lower-centered bass sounds it's pretty easy to get singing guitarlike tones and faceblasting ultadrive stuff. EQ covers a wider range of useful sounds with these babies than you'd expect so it's fun to try going a lot of different directions with them. I change things up from time to time at gigs and jams to keep things fresh.

greenboy.us / fEARful™ website

26 Jul 2011 22:25
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]