It is currently 20 Nov 2017 09:13

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Newbie on board but not bored - Maiden Cab Build 151566 

Post Newbie on board but not bored - Maiden Cab Build 151566
Howdy all y'uns from the eastern continental divide near Asheville, NC, where the French Broad river flows north (?) to make it's way south, where the biodiversity is said to be among the highest on this terrestrial orb we call Earth and where I am about to begin construction of my maiden cab build, the fEarful 1515/66 to introduce harmonics designed to #change things, forever!

I have all the components ordered or in stock. With the help of a new-found friend electronics tech, I am modding the crossover from a Peavy Qwave4, which was rated at 2800 watts program, which gives me a Bi-amp or full range switch. I bought this before I changed plans and decided to build a Greenboy fEarful. I am honestly waaaay over my head, although I have been reading and learning. When I learned a friend of a friend is an electronics whiz, I asked and he said he could mod it and make it work very nicely. I plan to use a B&C DE 250 attached to an Eminence H290B 1" bi-radial horn, which I already had on hand for my scrapped build idea. I went with the recommended 18 Sound 6ND410 's and the Kappalite 3015LF's. I chose a hexagonal perforated 19 gauge steel grille with an 81% open area from Online Metal Supply. Baltic Birch 5x5 sits waiting for me to clear an enormous stack of rough cut lumber (cut from my yard) out of my shed, so I can start "cutting-up".

I found out about Greenboy enclosures from an old friend, who plays bass and has worked as a sound engineer a few times and has designed and built a few sub enclosures (HUGE) for a church. Feel the anointing!!! My new electronic tech friend told me, if he didn't have to work for a living, he would build speakers, because that's what he loves the most!

I'm just a newbie with an itch to create great and marvelous things. I've only played bass 20 months and wasn't a musician except playing French horn in high school. Ooom Paa
Fortunately, after only 2.5 days of practice, my audition was successful and I have played live once a week since the beginning. No one has thrown rotten vegetables at me yet!
I am turd polishing 3 bass guitars. I dreamed of the mysterious sound in the realm of creation and came up with a design that allows dual humbuckers to retain isolated circuits through coil switches, through independent tone tone pots and through independent volume volume pots, retaining a true passive option. The design enables push/pull independent tone/tone pots for each pickup throughout both the passive as well as the active preamp circuits.

The fretless 5 string has a much simpler circuit, using the Seymour Duncan "Steve Bailey" preamp and 2 Nordy Fat Stacks. I'm refinishing the fret board with Cyanoacrylate. Mwaaah
The 6 string has Noll TCM3p and accomplishes the circuit isolation through a 4pdt 3way switch and Vol/Vol PP and Tone/tone PP pots. Gifted with 2 Nordy Dual Coils (parallel).
The MM5 (OLP polishing) has the Aguilar OBP3 and maintains the coil isolation though a 5 way Superswitch. Nordy alnico 3 Bigman at the neck, Nordy alnico 5 MM5.2 at the bridge. Same Vol/Vol pp, Tone/Tone PP design. Tone caps are 0.33uF at the neck and 0.47 at the bridge. Went with orange drops for the MM5 and Musicaps for the 6 string.

Currently playing the 6 string, as it isn't dismembered yet, and a Samick Artist Series AE 4 string with f holes (love the f holes).

Axes still have body routing, refinishing, and soldering ahead. I made custom wooden pu covers and ramp out of sap mahogany for the 6 string. I made custom pu rings and ramp out of tigerwood (wowsie) for the fretless 5. I made a custom quilted maple pickguard for the MM5.

My friend did warn me ahead of all this, that polishing a turd just yields a polished turd...

I like to invent...

08 Aug 2017 10:59
fEARful fan

Post Re: Newbie on board but not bored - Maiden Cab Build 151566
Brainmeister wrote:
...... I am about to begin construction of my maiden cab build, the fEarful 1515/66 to introduce harmonics designed to #change things, forever!

8-)

Build Thread for my Two 12/6's

08 Aug 2017 16:20

Post Re: Newbie on board but not bored - Maiden Cab Build 151566
Hi GTS-4, Thanks for your "welcome". I see you built a 66. Thanks for documenting the build. It's very helpful to see the work in progress and get a more definate picture of what's ahead. Big rain this weekend may delay me a week. I'm obsessed with this project. I think my wife is finally on board so I can finish and think about other things. Very helpful to have the pioneers leave maps for my quest.

11 Aug 2017 20:27
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]