It is currently 18 Nov 2017 04:16

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Yo from San Pedro CA 

Post Yo from San Pedro CA
Fearful 12/6 Cab wiyh Genz Benz 6.2, Ibanez BTB 6 string, Sire 5, Lakland 4 string.

08 Aug 2017 14:07

Post Re: Yo from San Pedro CA
'ello! Already built a 12/6?

One of my favorite bassists is from San Pedro.. maybe you know him.. Mike Watt.

-Scott

14 Aug 2017 11:56

smklassen0977 wrote:
'ello! Already built a 12/6?

One of my favorite bassists is from San Pedro.. maybe you know him.. Mike Watt.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Bought mine premade off of TalkBass. Cabinet build looks solid but I don't think the mid speaker is working.
All the components, speakers test good but when playing and I touch the mid cone, no movement. I assume I should be feeling
some movement but nope. Has to be a bad connection somewhere. Is there a crossover trouble shooting thread that you are aware of? If you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

And no, I'm sorry to say, I haven't had the pleasure of running into Mike Watt.

Best regards,
Mike

14 Aug 2017 18:05

Hey Mike. The 6" doesn't have much movement but you should feel some vibration but not a ton like the woofer. You hear it more than you see it move. A good test would be to crank the highs and see if you can distinguish that the majority of the signal is coming from the 6". When the 6" is truly not hooked up all you get is lows from the 12". There might be an additional way to test this.. for the most part you get no highs or mids with the 6" out of the mix... and it doesn't sound good with just the 12"..

14 Aug 2017 18:28

smklassen0977 wrote:
Hey Mike. The 6" doesn't have much movement but you should feel some vibration but not a ton like the woofer. You hear it more than you see it move. A good test would be to crank the highs and see if you can distinguish that the majority of the signal is coming from the 6". When the 6" is truly not hooked up all you get is lows from the 12". There might be an additional way to test this.. for the most part you get no highs or mids with the 6" out of the mix... and it doesn't sound good with just the 12"..

Thanks Scott,

Guess I need to get my fingers calibrated. I tried something less touchy, I put a tone generator on the input and what do you know... sound. Very roughly speaking, it was audible from 600 to 1200Hz. (Is this ballpark?)

This is my first experience with a crossover or a speaker smaller than 10". I'm glad you explained the minimal cone travel.

Thanks,
Mike

14 Aug 2017 19:05

No prob... glad that helped... not sure about the audio spectrum for the 6" in terms of hz but someone on here would know that . Id say if the 6" is moving and both the 12 and 6 sound good together you should be good to go.

14 Aug 2017 19:19
fEARful fan

The crossover point from woofer to mid on the True 3 Way is around 800 Hz. I measured mine around 750 Hz, which I assume is normal due to variation in the electronic components.

Since you don't have a tweeter (and likely no tweeter crossover) then the upper limit will be whatever the mid driver handles.

I have a tweeter on my 15/6/1 and the design mid to tweeter crossover is 4 KHz, and I measured mine at about 3500 Hz (if I remember correctly).

15 Aug 2017 12:26
site admin

In any crossover design that's actually tailored to the specific drivers in their [sub]enclosures and on the actual baffle, electronic measurements really don't tell the entire story anyway... such crossovers are not much like simplistic "textbook" crossovers. But for a rough idea for this purpose, good enough. Should be able to put fingers lightly on mid-cone and tell the difference between it just vibrating along with the woofer and it actually making acoustic output though...

greenboy.us / fEARful™ website
greenboy / fEARful™ on facebook

15 Aug 2017 12:42
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]