It is currently 13 Dec 2018 11:54

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Checking in to spread some Fearless love from NJ 
fEARful fan

Post Checking in to spread some Fearless love from NJ
Hey guys, enthusiastic F115 player here, finally checking in from NJ. I figured it was time for me to stop by. I've been happily using my F115 for almost a year now, and the only downside to it is that I get more upset now whenever need to use club backlines (which is almost always) and leave the Fearless at home. :x

Anyways, here are some shots that I've accumulated over that time of my baby for good measure. My apologies in advance if I decide to post thes pics in other threads as appropriate moving forward ad nauseam:

Posing at home:

Working hard at rehearsal:

Showing off outdoors*:

*My actual view to the left from the stage that evening. While I swear there was an actual venue space directly in front of me, I like to think that my F115 was serenading all of Camden from Philly that evening. Talk about dispersion! ;)

Last edited by Kro on 05 Sep 2018 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

15 Nov 2017 21:01

Post Re: Checking in to spread some Fearless love from NJ
nice pics!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem

16 Nov 2017 20:51
Profile WWW
fEARful fan

Foz wrote:
nice pics!

Thanks Foz, just waiting for my color to change. ;)

17 Nov 2017 10:38
site admin

Sorry, Kro

haven't been getting notifications from PayPal recently for some reason. Now I see that a few people have donated. Thanks!

greenboy.us / fEARful™ website

17 Nov 2017 12:27
Profile WWW
fEARful fan

No problem, thank you sir!

17 Nov 2017 12:42
site admin

BTW, my pal over here has been powering his F115 with his old G-K 1001RB. Sounds great until he really needs to crank, and then the GK begins to run out of CLEAN output. Right now he's trying to decide what to get that will drive the cab more fully. Hoping to check out a TCElectronics Blacksmith soon... we'll see.

17 Nov 2017 12:52
Profile WWW
fEARful fan

Yeah, in most situations that I personally find myself in (loud rock, but with PA support, just needing to be heard audibly over drums), that 340w @8ohm rated 1001RB-i will stay relatively clean with my F115... too clean even for my taste. That's where the VTDI that I run with it comes into play for more consistent, non-volume dependent harmonic content.

With that being said, I'm a fan of the way those GKs break up. I have a 700RB-i for just that reason - so any time that I do need to push my 1001RB-i loud enough where it starts breaking up, I'm usually happy. I'd personally describe that level of volume with my F115 as... obscene. Not sure what volume levels your friend is going for with it, but damn...

Even so, in general, consistency wins out - especially at lower volume levels, but something about the way those GKs break up when at extreme volume levels just feels right to me. Anyways...

Those Blacksmiths look awesome. Literally, they look awesome, though I'm super curious as to what they have going on inside of them. A little while back a few of us were trying to get to the bottom of it at one point, but the TC literature on the amp is super light on details, and gut shots seem to be guarded with the utmost secrecy.

Obviously it's marketed as class D, but given its weight it makes me wonder if it's running a toroidal power transformer or something...

17 Nov 2017 13:17
site admin

Pretty sure they are applying their average level approach that was first displayed in the RH450 some years ago, but in this case using modules that can deliver a lot more. A lot of people found the approach useful in the RH450, and a lot found it deficient. But with the supposed increase of available voltage the Blacksmith is supposedly able to muster, I would think that a lot of people who found the RH450 unsatisfactory would actually like the Blacksmith. If we are fortunate the lightweight module-based heads market will eventually mature to the point that there isn't any demand for great preamps to be used with top-tier pro power amps.

Yeah, the G-K approach works pretty good for electric bass for most people. But for acoustic bassists especially, who want their tone amplified rather than filtered as power demands are upped, it definitely adds color that could be unwanted.

17 Nov 2017 14:28
Profile WWW
fEARful fan

Yeah, TC is pretty open about using their active power management system for the blacksmith. I have no beef with it personally - just curious why the thing weighs 27lbs. and takes up 4? rack spaces is all. Curious to hear if you hear any feedback from your friend about it.

While I spent my fair share of time with an upright in university ensembles, I thankfully never had to worry about amplifying one! All of my personal experiences with amplification come from the electric side.

17 Nov 2017 14:46
fEARful fan

Figured I'd stop in here and finally update my picture codes from my initial post so that they show again. Done.

Oh, and one more cross-post shot from TB for good measure! Still just as happy with my F115 as the day I first played it! :D

05 Sep 2018 12:56
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]