It is currently 25 Feb 2018 05:54

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Hello from near BALLYNAHINCH, Northern Ireland, UK 

Post Hello from near BALLYNAHINCH, Northern Ireland, UK
Hi to the community. :) I only recently found Greenboy while wandering the W W WEB. I have been researching before specifying and recommending a bass rig for the music department of my old high school. Though I am tending to active crossover and a couple of power amps.
I do not play bass myself but have several bass amps and many cabinets I have designed and built over time. Though mostly for PA at concerts, outdoors , etc, I have been building loudspeakers for more than forty five years while at High School, University and a career with the BBC in broadcast engineering. Now retired and self employed I still find time for some loudspeaker design and building. Over the years I have been VERY disappointed at the poor low end' and generally poor response of most bass gtr cabs supplied by the big companies. I have re-engineered or replaced the "works" in many combos and cabs of people I have met.
For many many years I have helped my old High school, [Royal Belfast Academical Institution ] stage complex music concerts, classical, Jazz, Choral, Ensemble, Rock and POP classics with parts written for full orchestra- rock band and choir of 200 pupils. With the school small bass combo plugged into a good PA by DI we were ok. Though the combo had a single celestion 12" which was very light and no response below 60Hz..... But last concert I supplied a small amp of 100W = = = BUT with a truly 'extended range' three way cab,--Precision devices Neo high excursion 15", Eminence sealed back 8"MR, small HF horn by Fane. So 'flat' from 38 t0 20K Hz with good useable output to low B on a five string. :ugeek:
Rather to my surprise several "knowledgeable" people who knew nothing of this loan commented on a great improvement in overall sound. lots of words like smooth, warm, powerful, satisfying, integrated and so on. I thought the bass was more "prominent". BUT in "place" below the other instruments. Additionally the Music director never once shouted 'too much bass' which had been a common event with the schools own hollow sounding combo with no deep bass. So it was the sound quality he did not like , not the level , but could not put it in words. :lol:
Now I have found a whole community of people who realise the shortcomings of ordinary cabs, and someone who has pursued in detail better bass gtr cab design.
[color=#000000] So HI to you all.
[/color]

11 Aug 2016 20:24
fEARful fan

Post Re: Hello from near BALLYNAHINCH, Northern Ireland, UK
Willy Mac wrote:
So it was the sound quality he did not like, not the level, but could not put it in words. :lol:

Welcome, Willy! Welcome to the home of quality sound!

Peter

Godin A5 Ultra SA

11 Aug 2016 21:05

HI Peter.
#Hmm the world is a small place.....Wollongong looks beautiful......and bizzarly there ia a motoway/freeway [what ever it is called in OZ ] called M1 west and north of Ballynahich .
BUT this may not be significant in the world of speaker design. :lol:
Wm.

12 Aug 2016 02:49
fEARful fan

Welcome to the forum, Willy.
Feel free to join in and contribute to any of the discussions.

12 Aug 2016 15:24
fEARful fan

Willy Mac wrote:
HI Peter.
#Hmm the world is a small place.....Wollongong looks beautiful......and bizzarly there ia a motoway/freeway [what ever it is called in OZ ] called M1 west and north of Ballynahich .
BUT this may not be significant in the world of speaker design. :lol:
Wm.

Wonder if I follow the M1 will it take me to Ballynahinch? Motorways, freeways, we build 'em & at times they're as good a parking lot as anyone can build! ;-)

There the comparison ends, perhaps. We do have great beaches here, & parts of the surrounding countryside could match your neck-o-the-woods, too. Only 40min from here around Robertson & Bowral (home of Sir Donald Bradman!) is where a lot of the footage from the movie Babe was shot, which seems very reminiscent of your neighbourhood! :-)

Peter

Godin A5 Ultra SA

12 Aug 2016 16:21
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]