It is currently 20 Sep 2018 00:57

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Wondering about hiss..... 

Post Wondering about hiss.....
Hi There,

I wonder if anyone could shine some light on your expirience with the greenboy fearful flat packs (12/6 and tweeter) with true crossover and so on in therms of Hiss? I recently tried so high end cabinets and found that many of them had hiss comming out the tweeter.

Thanks in advance!

BorisC

20 Jun 2018 16:38

Post Re: Wondering about hiss.....
only if the front end of your rig makes it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell%27s_theorem

20 Jun 2018 17:33
Profile WWW
fEARful fan

(pre)Amps hiss, cabinets don't. Only, high-end cabinets, especially with dedicated mid and high paths, reproduce hiss more clearly. A common bass cabinet won't reproduce it very good as the woofers won't go up that much frequency-wise.

21 Jun 2018 02:54
fEARful fan

Yep, if you are hearing hiss through your fEARful it was there all along. Your past cab/s did not go high enough to reproduce it.

Greenboy cabs reproduce what you throw at them way better than most other cabs on the market. They are also very good at highlighting preamp gain stage distortion and bad finger technique, things that most other cabs mask.

FarWest Readhead EUB
CCB BSO DB

21 Jun 2018 11:20
site admin

Yeah, cabs don't make hiss, they merely reproduce – as well as they are able – the quality of the electronics that are upstream. A lot of bass-specific heads/preamps/amps manufacturers have depended on the cabs which they also manufacture, to filter the cost-reducing approach they have taken to electronics in their upstream products. Also, they figured once the band is overrunning the room that the noise would be masked by all the other audio mayhem ; }

As cheap tweeters and its "crossovers" were introduced in their cab designs, a lot more of the noise their heads/preamps/amps make was exposed – and thus many comments on forums about hating tweeters. Misplaced blame somewhat, though the cheap tweeters and crossovers themselves were part of the problem...

Once can somewhat alleviate the effect of noisy electronics with EQ, or turning down the volume when a musical signal is not being input, of the use downward noise expansion/filtering such as what Hush has sold. Or just generally upgrade the upstream amplification...

greenboy.us / fEARful™ website

21 Jun 2018 12:33
Profile WWW

The consensus that the tweeters were just sounding out the noise of the head was enlightening to me. I had also read many reviews blaming the tweetwer as if it were the root cause of hiss on a particular bass cabs. Thanks for that clarification. It was also interesting the information on how some of the manufacturers cover their tracks by designing the cab to filter out the noise of the cheaper components in their heads. So creative with the profit margings, I wish they put that creativity into new desings. Anyhow, I was happy to hear of the transparency of the F112. I actually think that there is no better encouragemet for practicing than making a loud fretting fart in front of an audience. :D

21 Jun 2018 19:54
fEARful fan

BorisC wrote:
The consensus that the tweeters were just sounding out the noise of the head was enlightening to me.

As greenboy said, a whole lot of amp (and even more so EFX noise toy) makers just use the inherent low pass filtering of old school cabs to mask the dreck. That's easier and cheaper, and if the end user digs the end result it was maybe even smarter. Same thing for fan cooling, IMO.

22 Jun 2018 08:53
Profile WWW
site admin

Passinwind wrote:
BorisC wrote:
The consensus that the tweeters were just sounding out the noise of the head was enlightening to me.

As greenboy said, a whole lot of amp (and even more so EFX noise toy) makers just use the inherent low pass filtering of old school cabs to mask the dreck. That's easier and cheaper, and if the end user digs the end result it was maybe even smarter. Same thing for fan cooling, IMO.

Yeah, not every user would like paying for a clean sound chain, especially if the sonic conditions at their gigs mask a lot of that once the music gets started anyway. Still, once you hear/play a killer rig and even a killer live mix, it's hard to go back. Some of my best online buddies even minimize the backline and use IEMs a lot, just to get rid of some of the dreck. That's one way to root out a lot of superfluous noise.

greenboy.us / fEARful™ website

22 Jun 2018 09:06
Profile WWW

Quote:
[quoteeah, not every user would like paying for a clean sound chain, especially if the sonic conditions at their gigs mask a lo the back line and use IEMs a lot, just to get rid of some of the dreck. That's one way to root out a

Thanks, after trying many 2x12 rigs I still have not found what Im looking for so Im going to try the 12/6/1 flatpack build.
One descicion done! Now the issue becomes precisely that of the clean sound chain and power. I have read many threads here and thought there is a wealth of information, I think Im going to start another topic on this subject more specifc to my space/flexibility issues arissing form taking public transportation and so on. Thank you all for your replies and help!

BorisC

05 Jul 2018 10:02
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]